The Best Travel Community on The Web

The Would Be Wanderer Travel Community is designed to bring members together to build a bond over our common interest: travel. Please use these forums to share best practices and tips with one another, connect over commonalities and grow the community. This is meant to be a safe place for all levels of experience, so please treat your fellow members with respect and understanding.

Armed with fifteen regular contributors, we would never be able to provide you with every angle or perspective into travel practices. Therein lies the importance of allowing our members and visitors to have a voice to share.
Please note, our other groups (such as Would Be Wanderer Facebook Group) to fully leverage the WBW Travel Community and maybe find some new friends to plan your next trip with. To learn more about what our site offers please see our Getting Started page or our Blog (or search and learn about popular Travel Destinations)

Travel Community

Notifications
Clear all

Hotel Review: The InterContinental Cascais-Estoril (IHG) - Amex FHR booking, May 2023

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Reactions
(@james)
Admin Admin Registered
Topic starter  

List Price $275/night + taxes

Paid $200 + 9000 Amex MRs (- $200 FHR credit)

I will start by saying that IHG hotels have quickly become some of my favorite in the World. The only downside I see for them, currently, is their smaller network across the US. Since I do a bit of Domestic travel in addition to International travel, I tend to prefer a mix of Hyatt and IHG - and plan on really building the statuses of both programs in future years.

Specific to IHG, if you hold an American Express Platinum card (which you can apply for with an 80,000 point bonus https://americanexpress.com/en-us/referral/JAMESS5MjB?XLINK=MYC P" target="_blank" rel="noopener">HERE), you can find many of the hotels on Amex's portal, under the Fine Hotels & Resorts (FHR) collection. This is important to note, as you get a $200 annual credit towards those thusly tagged, as well as free upgrades, like early check in, late check out, room upgrades and free on-site credits for food, spa, shops, etc. It has been my experience, as well, that when booking a Fine Hotel & Resort stay through Amex, the hotel - particularly overseas - the hotel really stives to make your stay extra special. This stay was no different.

The hotel's location is simply breathtaking. Overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, it provides mesmerizing views from almost every corner. We arrived late at night, so we were unable to take advantage of the early check-in afforded with the FHR booking, however, our room was upgraded to and ocean view suite, so we got to take full advantage of the views. The hotel also left us a plate of fresh fruit, Portuguese chocolates and a "Thank you for being a valued Amex member" note.

The rooms are spacious, elegantly decorated, and equipped with modern amenities. I particularly appreciated the attention to detail and the comfortable bedding, ensuring a restful night's sleep. The sea-facing balconies are a highlight, perfect for enjoying a morning coffee or a glass of wine at sunset.

The nearby Cascais and Estoril towns are easily accessible, offering a taste of Portuguese culture, delicious cuisine, and charming streets to explore.

Dining at the hotel's restaurants was a culinary delight. The breakfast buffet offered a wide variety of options to suit every palate. The attentive staff made dining experiences even more enjoyable. Also, with the FHR booking, the breakfast buffet for two was free. This was our first meal in Portugal, and it did not disappoint, offering up tons of fresh Portuguese pastries (we had been waiting to get out hands on some Pastel De Nata), loads of fresh fruit and fresh seafood and entrees.

In addition to the free room upgrade and free breakfast for two - our FHR booking allowed us a $100 on-site credit. The InterContinental Cascais-Estoril also boasts a beautiful pool area and a well-equipped fitness center. The spa services are seemed amazing, but we wanted to head to Lisbon for lunch reservations, so we asked the front desk, for what else we could apply the credit. Since it is typically reserved for spa services, and we were heading out, the hotel graciously offered up 2 bottles of wine that they serve at the restaurant (about $80/each) free of charge.

Overall, my stay at The InterContinental Cascais-Estoril was nothing short of exceptional. The combination of stunning location, luxurious accommodations, and impeccable service makes it a top-notch choice for travelers seeking a memorable coastal retreat. I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting the Cascais-Estoril area.

Unfortunately, I am having trouble uploading my pictures here - I am currently working with the add-on team to get that fixed and I will add them. In the meantime, you can read my full review, with pictures, at wouldbewanderer.com or on our Facebook Group

This topic was modified 2 years ago 2 times by James
This topic was modified 7 months ago 2 times by James

Share:

Would Be Wanderer is not responsible for views and opinions posted in these forums and the views and opinions posted here do not represent Would Be Wanderer or its contributors. If you have any questions or concerns with the moderation of these forums, please reach out to me directly at james@wouldbewanderer.com and I will respond as soon as possible.